Manchester A-Z Premier Map 1968
- 3 1968
- 3.4 inches to 1 mile (5.4cm to 1km)
- Rational Scale:
- Size Unfolded:
- 860 x 1120 mm (33.9 x 44.1 inches)
This late 1960s facsimile copy of Geographers' Plan of Manchester and Salford offers a fascinating snapshot of the city ahead of major road infrastructure changes: while sections of the M62 and M63 are shown, the M60 Manchester Ring Road they will become part of has yet to be built. The M602 penetrating into the heart of Salford is also absent and the Mancunian Way is not yet a motorway.
Discover districts before expansion; detail ultimately lost to future development; bus routes and other interesting information at an approximate scale of 3.4 inches to 1 mile.
Historic features include the Belle Vue Zoological Gardens and speedway; Trafford Park and Manchester Docks, both before regeneration, and town centres prior to traffic improvement schemes. Hanky Park, Pendleton, has been cleared for redevelopment and, in Hulme, new estates have been marked out, including a 'mysterious' link-road planned but never built. Sportcity, with its focus on sporting venues, will eventually replace the residential roads in north Beswick as will the Arndale Shopping Centre in the city centre. Close inspection reveals a multitude of interesting detail: Dye Manufactory; Monsall Isolation Hospital; Gorton Foundry and the Metropolitan Vickers Electric Engineering Works for example. Detail in other areas will disappear as Manchester Airport's new terminals and the Trafford Centre are built.
The map covers an area from Prestwich in the north to Wythenshawe in the south and Eccles in the west to Stockport in the east.
Recent top 10 bestsellers in the Northern England section via our website.
- Merseyside A-Z Street Atlas
- Pennine Way (South) A-Z Adventure Atlas
- Greater Manchester A-Z Street Atlas
- Blackpool A-Z Street Atlas
- Sheffield A-Z Street Atlas (paperback)
- Lake District (Southern Fells) A-Z Adventure Atlas
- Manchester A-Z Street Atlas (paperback)
- Leeds & Bradford A-Z Street Atlas (Paperback)
- Lake District (Northern Fells) A-Z Adventure Atlas
- Hadrian's Wall Path A-Z Adventure Atlas